May 18, 2017

South Portland High School

Daily Announcements

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Red B Day

Detention with Lamarre/305

RIOT NATION HEADLINES

PSA:  Public Service AMAZING

SPHS Video Students have made a few good PSAs this year that would be great to show during homebase. If you have time/want to, here are the links!

What’s the breakfast cart? Here! https://youtu.be/TxeMkwE4HrA

What’s the Riot Rack? Here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONtNJbW8s1w

STUDENT VOICE

Student Voice

Elections for Class officers and the  South Portland Board of Education will be held on May 31.

Petitions to have your name on the ballot are available in Room 321, Mr. Romanow’s room. They are due no later than Thursday, May 25, at 2:00PM. 

Virtual High School Registration for the 2017-2018 School Year is Now OPEN

Registration for Virtual High School (VHS) courses for the 2017-2018 school year is now open.  Please go to https://goo.gl/rp0E6v to view course offerings and register for a course.  If you need help with the registration process, please see Mr. Lamarre in Room 305 or see your guidance counselor.

GUIDANCE

Attention Seniors:

Senior who have been accepted and are planning to attend SMCC in the Fall are encouraged to stop by the Guidance Office to sign up for SMCC’s “Accepted Student Day” which will take place the morning of May 24th. This event will allow for students to tour the campus, attend an orientation session, and sign up for classes. Please see Mrs. Frey to sign up or if you have any questions.

BRAND NEW SCHOLARSHIP

Paul Ferguson Lacrosse Scholarship – (available to one boy and one girl LAX player) – $500 each

Due May 31st!

OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS & DEADLINES

South Portland Lions Club – Harry Phillips Memorial Scholarship

Award value: $1,000

Deadline: May 26, 2017

South Portland Lions Club – Lancaster/MacLeod Scholarship

Award value: $3,000

Deadline: May 26, 2017

SPHS Girls Soccer Boosters – due May 19

SPHS Boys Lacrosse Boosters Scholarship (2 @ $500 – due May 19, 2017

SPHS Boys Soccer – May 19

WE PUT THE FUN IN FUNDRAISING

SPHS Project Graduation

OTTO

Fundraiser

Tuesday, May 23rd

5pm -9pm

159 Cottage Rd Location

A percentage of each purchase will go directly to SPHS Project Graduation

FMI:https://www.facebook.com/events/373396443024678/

PROJECT GRAD UPDATES

Seniors are needed to sell balloons and flags at this year’s Memorial Day Parade to benefit Project Graduation. Seniors can sign up for this annual tradition with Ms.Major in room 303.

Project Graduation T-Shirt Signing:

Seniors are asked to stop by Ms. Major in room 303 to sign this year’s PG shirt. Students have until May 26th to sign the shirt.

If any students aren’t sure if they turned in their forms, they can see Ms. Major in room 303 to check.

Seniors are reminded that the permission slips for Project Graduation are due by Friday, May 19th. The permission slip was originally found in the senior packet handed out in March. If students need new forms, they can pick them up in the main office or with Ms. Major in room 303.

The deadline for the Project Graduation t-shirt design is due Friday, May 19th. Design needs to include Project Graduation, SPHS, and Class of 2017 in some way in to the t-shirt design. The design winner will receive a $50 cash prize.

CLUBS/MEETINGS &

INTRAMURALS

MUSICAL THEATRE Anyone interested in participating in the Musical Theatre production next year, whether on stage or off, please come to a brief meeting Monday, May 22nd right after school, 1:55, so we can come up with fundraising ideas for next year’s production

Culture Club will be meeting TODAY 5/18. We will meet in room 222 at 2:00 PM.

There will be a quick but important GSTA meeting  after school on Monday, 5/22, in Mrs. Siviski’s room.  

JOB OPPORTUNITIES

The Portland Museum of Art is hiring a selection of teens for their paid summer Homer High School Fellows program.  The deadline is June 1st. Please pick up a job description and application in the Guidance Office.

Maietta Lawn Care business needs help with weeding and mulching

FMI Contact:  Justin Maietta  call 207-329-7373 or email   justin@maiettalawncare.com

Summer Hours  7:30 AM – 4:00 PM  or after school hours

$12.00 Per Hour

ATHLETICS

The 2017 New England Student Leadership Conference will take place July 25-28 at Worcester State University – Worcester, MA.  The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) along with it’s Section 1 members from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont will offer this four-day, residential event for approximately 300 students and adult leaders who participate in interscholastic athletic and activity programs through their state high school athletic/activity associations.  The application deadline is Monday, June 12, 2017 and the cost is $335.  If you’re interested in this opportunity please see Mr. Livingston in the athletic office for more information regarding the application process.

THE FOLLOWING STUDENTS NEED TO STOP BY THE ATHLETIC OFFICE

Students should bring their social security card to complete paperwork that will allow us to pay you for working at a track meet.  If your name isn’t on the list, we have processed payment for you.

Ethan McCarthy, Oscar Sullivan, Anna Folley, Maddie Drolet, Liam Piper, Rebecca Hunnewell-Dunphy, Mary DiSanto, Rhode Phambu, Kaleisha Towle, Emily Freese, Liam McGribbin, , Dakota Brown, Artimus Stilley, Justin Abraham, Jararis Neal, Ethan McCarthy, Cole Bennevides, Tommy Mullen, Michaela Johnson, TJ Nakuman, Michael Hammond-Daniels,

RIOT REPLAY

Congratulations to the boys track team for its 2nd place finish yesterday, defeating Cheverus and Portland. Xavier Mills won 2 events, and Max Holmes, TJ Nakummun, Steven Smith were single event winners. Alyas Ahmady placed in 3 events, and Max Holmes, Ben Sivik, Brad Mileson, Steven Smith, Zach Dyer, Patrick Martin also placed in multiple events. The team is now 9-3.