November 13, 2017

South Portland High School

Daily Announcements

Monday, November 13, 2017

Red A Day

Detention with Mr. Hunter/250

RIOT NATION HEADLINES

SOPO UNITE FILMING TODAY!

SOPO Unite will once again be meeting in the Learning Commons starting at 2:30 to film for upcoming commercials.

All are Welcome!

JMG 2017 OPERATION GRATITUDE

The Goal is to collect 100 thank you letters which will be mailed to deployed service members and/or Veterans here at home.  JMG is asking students and staff to help reach the goal of 100 letters.  All letters will be mailed on December 1 or sooner.

See Mr. Soule for templates or drop off your letters to room 242 or to his mailbox in the Main Office.

STUDENT VOICE:

Congratulations to the new Freshman Class President: Tracie Francis

TYLER TECHNOLOGIES MAINE APP CHALLENGE

What: Maine App Challenge Open House
When: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Tyler Technologies, Inc., 370 U.S. Route 1, Falmouth, Maine

Students, parents, and teachers can sign up on Tyler’s website for more updates about the challenge at www.maineappchallenge.com.

WE PUT THE FUN IN FUNDRAISING

Come out and support the Class of 2018 by having dinner at Otto Pizza by Red’s on Tuesday, November 14th. A percentage of the night’s food sales (both dine-in and take-out) will be donated to Project Graduation.

GUIDANCE

SENIOR APPLICATION REVIEW DAYS

The Guidance Office is currently scheduling appointments for Senior Application Review Days. This is a great opportunity for students applying to University of Maine Orono, University of Maine Farmington and/or University of Southern Maine to meet with an admission counselor and go through the admissions process at the high school. Interested students should register to participate in the Guidance Office. Please see your guidance counselor with any questions.  The upcoming dates are as follows:

December 7 – UMaine Orono

December 8 – UMaine Farmington

December 14 – University of Southern Maine

HUGH O’BRIAN YOUTH LEADERSHIP SEMINAR (HOBY)

The HOBY Leadership Seminar is available to one South Portland High School sophomore with demonstrated or potential leadership skills. This seminar provides an excellent opportunity for a student to further develop their leadership abilities. Additional information regarding HOBY is available at www.hoby.org.  If you would like to be considered, please pick up an application in the Guidance Office and return no later than Friday, December 1.

ABOUT HOBY:

~3-4 days of fun, interactive leadership training, and meeting state leaders

~Experience life on a university campus and staying in residence halls

~Explore leadership from three perspectives: individual, group and society

~Discover how personal, group and societal leadership lead to social change

~Return from the seminar with skills and inspiration to lead change

~Become effective, ethical leaders in their home, school and community.

The seminar is a three-day event and will be held Friday, June 1, 2018 through Sunday, June 3, 2018 at University of Maine Farmington in Farmington, Maine.  The selected student will be expected to attend the conference.

FMI:  See Mrs. King in Guidance

CLUBS, TEAMS, INTRAMURALS

Sunday River Ski Program

If you, your friends or your family are interested in skiing or riding at Sunday River at a ridiculously reduced price, stop by Room 349 on Tuesday the 14th after school(2:40) to get the scoop and pick up paperwork. 

The GSTA will meet today after school in room 325. All are welcome to join us as we continue planning new training sessions and Ally Week!

INTERACTThere will be an Interact meeting on Tuesday, November 14th right after school in the Lecture Hall. All members should attend.

HIP HOP COMES TO SPHS

If you’ve ever wanted to learn hip hop, here’s your chance!  A professional hip hop instructor from Portland Youth Dance will hold after-school dance lessons in the auditorium lobby on the following Tuesday afternoons:  11/28, 12/5, 12/12, 12/19.  Classes will be held from 2:45-3:45, and are free and open to any and all students.  See Ms.  Zembsch (room 224) or Ms. Keeler (room 207) to sign up.

Join Maker Meet up Monday TODAY at 2:30pm in the STEAM Studio (room 246) as we make slime! Bring $2 or your own materials and walk away with one or more makes! Everyone is welcome!

Math Team: Next practice will be Wednesday November 15 after school.

Sunday River Ski Program If you, your friends or your family are interested in skiing or riding at Sunday River at a ridiculously reduced price, stop by Room 349 on Tuesday the 14th after school(2:40) to get the scoop and pick up paperwork. 

Latin Club:  IMPORTANT MEETING TODAY AFTER SCHOOL!  RM 141. !

Food fun and all members current and new must attend.

Culture Club will be meeting this Wednesday, the 15th, at 2:30 in room 222.

ATHLETICS

Attention Fall Student-Athletes

Mr. Livingston would like all fall student-athletes to complete the season questionnaire for the sport they played this past season.  Please complete the questionnaire for the sport and level you most participated on.  To access the questionnaire go to the athletics web site and in the upper right hand corner under Updates & Announcements click on Click here for Fall 2017 Sports Questionnaires link.  The questionnaires will be open Monday, November 6th and closed on Friday, November 17th.    Thank you.

Hattie Tetzlaff, please see Mr. Livingston in the athletic office at your earliest convenience.

THE WINTER SPORT SEASON BEGINS ON NOVEMBER 20TH.

THE FOLLOWING MEETINGS ARE SCHEDULED FOR INTERESTED STUDENTS:

Cheering – Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 6:30 pm in room B105

Wrestling Any students interested in participating in the sport of wrestling this winter as part of the Portland/South Portland cooperative team should plan on attending an informational meeting with Coach Napolitano on Wednesday, November 15th right after school in room B105